Monday, December 03, 2007

New business going

So many things have happened since I last wrote in this blog, I'll just let you catch up as I update you on my life.

I finally got my machinery delivered in September, after nearly losing all, deposit and machine to a shady distributor.

I started my new business in the coastal town as planned, just one year after visiting an industry trade show and submitting a business plan to a business consultant. The embroidery machine workshop space is located near enough to my new appartment to be able to walk to work. It's a good thing too because for now I'm doing the design work, adverstising, customer relations and order management from my home office and the production work at the shop. Not an ideal situation, rather one imposed by my landlord's lack of sincerity. Contrary to what the he stated before signing the contract, there is no phone connection in the shop. The phone line he showed me is actually a line that belongs to the next door office. I won't go into it. No comment.

Since this is a one woman business, I have been doing a bit of everything to get things moving, like moving pieces on a chessboard, first moving a pawn, then a horse. After having designed the website last month, I have, of late, been concentrating on learning machinery operation and digitising my own designs. I'm creating a custom embroidery design catalog to use when I meet potential customers.

As I mentioned before, I did the web design for the business website and it is now live online. In fact there are three websites, one in Spanish, French and English for which I did the translation work. It became a wonderful exercise in honing the creative text since I essentially say the same thing in three different languages. I have begun doing search engine optimisation too and of course, the necessary url submissions to directories and search engines. Business cards arrived from the printers and look good. The website is on them as well as the shop address.

After being submerged in remodeling projects and job finishing work for most of the year, my new appartment is finally finished and I've been able to get back into a routine. I am so thankful for hot water after having rented a house with such poor plumbing that a hot shower was the exception.

On the balcony there are a couple nice lettuces growing alongside rosemary, parsley, sage, a blue juniper, a fir tree, heather and a lovely scented gardenia. A small compost box has taken up the shady corner of the balcony. We are being very green you see. My carbon footprint will have shrunk for sure.

Last weekend, for the first time since moving in the beginning of August, I did nothing which had to do with finishing the apartment. Instead I went to the gym, worked out and then went to the beach.

Oh sure, there's still a little painting to finish on the living room moldings, and a couple electric sockets to change but, that will wait.

I spent a beautiful day walking on the beach and listening to the sea. When I close my eyes, I only hear the rush of the waves on the sand.
It's so soothing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home